Hiring: Property Manager
Location: North Vancouver and Squamish, British Columbia
BackgroundHiyam Housing Society is an incorporated non-profit Society, formed by the Squamish Nation Council as part of its strategic priority to house every Squamish member within a generation. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
General PurposeWith the growth of our housing developments, we are looking for an experienced Property Manager who will report to the CEO of Hiyam Housing Society, to join the team based in North Vancouver and Squamish BC. To do this role effectively you should be able to support our Society in managing daily and general property management duties, have well developed communication skills and have experience in non-profit housing management and development.
Key Responsibilities & Duties
- Delivering consistent quality of services to tenants and stakeholders.
- Responsible for keeping the properties in a safe and habitable condition.
- Budgeting costs, analyzing property financials and capital projects. Responsible for setting and maintaining the operational, maintenance and capital budgets for the buildings and keeping detailed records.
- Supervisor of day-to-day activities
- Fill vacancies when needed, manage waitlist and oversee property management systems.
- Oversee the screening tenants as they apply for housing and checking references, income verification and/or proof of employment.
- Oversee staff that perform routine maintenance such as, landscaping, pest removal and trash removal or hire someone to perform these tasks on a regular basis.
- Have an in-depth understanding of the landlord-tenant laws and be able to carry out their responsibilities in the way these laws dictate including but not limited to: terminating leases, eviction, handling security deposits and the Residential Tenancy Act
- Keep thorough records of the functioning of the property.
- Oversee security issues, tenant disputes and resolutions.
- Managing renovation and maintenance of projects, including negotiating with contractors, and ensuring compliance with bylaws and Nation policies.
- Establish housing and tenant policies and procedures, forms and agreements as required.
- Attend housing development meetings and assist with getting new buildings up and running.
- Create programs to train new staff and educate tenants.
- Work with the Squamish Nation Departments staff and Hiyam Housing Board, when necessary.
Qualifications & Skills
- Minimum 5 years managing a portfolio consisting of strata, rental, and commercial properties.
- Working knowledge of Commercial and Residential Lease Agreements and Management Agreements.
- Demonstrating a high level of professionalism and ethical conduct, building positive relationships with a diverse range of people.
- Strong aptitude for problem solving accountability, planning, and prioritizing.
- Displaying strong track record of success in dealing with property operations, working alongside a multi-disciplinary team, and balancing multiple scopes concurrently.
- Ability to deal with non-routine situations in a calm yet decisive manner.
- Comfortable working with a vulnerable at-risk population.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all matters related to staff, participants, and the agency.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral, with co-workers, community agencies, funders, CEO and the Board of Directors to support a strong culture of collaboration and accountability.
Education & Experience
- Completion of bachelor’s degree, preferably Bachelor of Commerce, Real Estate (or Urban Land)
- Valid Rental Property Management license under the Real Estate Council of BC.
- Previous experience with property management in the non-profit social housing sector preferred.
- Experience working with First Nation’s required
- Excellent computer skills with experience in accounting software (Arcori, and Microsoft Office, Excel, Word).
Salary and BenefitsAs well as a competitive base salary dependent on the number of years of experience, we also offer corporate benefits.
- A generous compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan
- Access to professional development funds and opportunities for career development
- Annual salary: $79,000 – $90,000